Internship Announcement – Grassroots Field Intern
Oregon United for Marriage is building a broad coalition of individuals and organizations to win the freedom to marry for same-sex couples in Oregon in 2014. We seek to fill several Grassroots Field Intern positions based out of Portland or Eugene. The Grassroots Field Interns will assist the field team in recruiting, training and coordinating volunteers and volunteer leaders to engage Oregonians in winning the freedom to marry. Interns will learn about grassroots social justice activism, have conversations with thousands of Oregonians about ending discrimination against LGBT people, and gain first-hand experience on a ballot measure campaign.
We welcome large time commitments, but ask for a minimum commitment of 15-20 hours per week for 12 weeks. This internship is unpaid.
- Demonstrated attention to detail, and ability to manage a variety of projects simultaneously
- Commitment to social justice, especially to ending homophobia and transphobia
- Commitment to building a multi-racial team; experience working in multi-racial environments
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Demonstrated computer literacy, especially with Microsoft Word and Excel
- Demonstrated ability and desire to work with and motivate OU4M’s volunteer base
- Work with the field team to recruit, train and motivate a pool of volunteer activists and leaders
- Engage Oregonians on the streets and at concerts, street fairs, and festivals to recruit volunteers and build the campaign’s list of supporters
- Coordinate volunteer events and take part in managing logistics, preparation, and attendance
- Assist in managing and processing the data entry of volunteer information
- Participate in grassroots fundraising over the phone and in person
- Prepare written weekly work plans and progress reports
- Participate in weekly trainings on grassroots organizing, skill-building, and leadership development
Term 1: June 3 – August 23, final application deadline April 15
Term 2: July 1 – September 20, final application deadline May 13
Applications will be considered on a rolling basis until the deadline.
To apply, please send your application to firstname.lastname@example.org. Application should include a cover letter and resume. Please indicate in your cover letter the desired term of your internship and if you are applying for Portland or Eugene.
Oregon United for Marriage is committed to a diverse, multicultural work environment. People of color, people with disabilities, and people of diverse sexual orientations, gender expressions and gender identities are encouraged to apply.